Grey or greige yarn is a type of yarn used to produce greige fabric, an unfinished fabric that’s yet to be dyed, cleaned, and bleached. Greige is the most basic form of yarn and can be manufactured from natural and synthetic fibers. Fabric manufacturers in Delhi source greige yarn at a much lesser cost than finished ready-for-dyeing (RFD) yarns to make various consumer goods, such as uniforms, upholstery, window treatments, aprons, and accessories, and industrial applications like tentage and marine textile products.
At the same time, other textile manufacturers purchase wholesale greige fabric online from India with the intention to create the end products using their own methods and techniques.
How Fabric Manufacturers in Delhi Should Identify Greige Fabric
Color of Greige Yarn
Greige fabric can be obtained from any unfinished yarn, such as hemp, nylon, polyester, cotton, and poly-cotton. It is, however, most commonly derived from cotton and polyester.
Greige fabrics produced from natural fibers like cotton tend to have natural color tones like off-white or beige. Synthetic greige yarns and fabrics are whiter and shinier. The natural color is removed through washing, bleaching, dyeing, and other chemicals.
Nevertheless, greige varies in appearance based on fiber content, weave type, and weight or the intended application or end product.
Weight of Greige Fabrics
The weight of grey fabrics is determined by their production process – the kind of yarn used and the thread count.
The thread count represents the number of threads woven per square inch of fabric. For instance, if you are looking for a thread count of 100 X 40, it means 100 threads run horizontally, and 40 threads run vertically within one square inch. Good quality fabrics are denser and tighter when constructed, and hence have higher thread counts.
When it comes to the quality of yarn, yarn threads are designated with serial numbers based on their lengths. The higher the number, the finer the fabric, and the lower the number, the thicker the fabric.
And finally, the weight of the yarns and fabrics is measured in ounces per square yard. The standard range of weight of fabrics for consumer goods is 4.5 to 15 ounces. Fabrics that are lighter in weight, softer, and airy are closer to 4.5 ounces per square yard. Examples: Cotton poplin, chambray, and voile. Fabrics closer to 15 ounces per square yard are considered medium to heavy fabrics, known for durability, ruggedness, and sturdiness. Examples: Canvas, denim, and wool tweed.
Typically, greige fabrics differ in weight and characteristics depending upon the yarn used in the weaving process.
Since fabrics’ weight varies, it is suggested to look for specifications or consult with the greige fabric supplier when sourcing wholesale fabric online in India through TEXchange.
However, at Damodar Menon International Pvt. Ltd., the trading experts proactively help greige fabric manufacturers in Delhi determine the correct greige textile for their intended end product. For more details, visit their official website at www.damodarmenon.com.
How Can You Ensure the Quality of Greige Yarn?
Use a standardized test procedure to check the quality of greige yarn before bulk production.
The test inspection is carried out by a Quality Controller (QC) by randomly taking a sample of the selected fabric and testing it in a certified laboratory.
A report is prepared by the lab following the test, where results for TPI and yarn count are provided. The QC completes additional sample tests to avoid physical or visual rejections like contamination, slub, hole, dead fiber, and hairiness. At times, the fabric is dyed mandatorily to identify certain visual rejections.
How is Greige Fabric Produced?
The greige fabric is in the first production stage before it is processed for dyeing and printing. It is produced in an electrical or handloom. Greige fabric construction involves the following steps:
- Selecting the fiber, which is determined by the desired weight and characteristics of the final product.
- Spinning the fibers into yarn using different spinning techniques like ring, open-end, and air jet spinning.
- The yarns are then processed for warping and sizing. The warp and weft yarns are finally sent to weaving looms, where the fabric structure, texture, and pattern are determined.
- multiple weaves define the construction of greige fabrics. They include plain weave, oxford weave, diagonal weave, twill weave, and herringbone weave.
- Once the greige fabric weaving process is completed, it is sent for inspection to identify and negate any preliminary defects, such as scouring, de-sizing, and bleaching (optional).
Once the greige fabric is obtained, fabric manufacturers in Delhi can take it through additional processes like dyeing, printing, calendaring, brushing, and coating to achieve the desired performance and appearance of the fabric.
What is the Best Place to Sell Fabric Online
TEXchange Global is the world’s first textile trading platform for B2B businesses that is fully automated and digital. It offers amazing benefits for global textile businesses, including but not limited to the following:
- Open a business account instantly for international trading
- Chat with your potential customer in real-time
- Create and bid on hot deals
- Learn about the market condition through the TEXbulletin subscription
- Create an irresistible offer
- Compare businesses, rates, delivery time, and a lot of other things
- Negotiate the price in real-time
- Close a transaction seven times faster than the conventional process
- Track order and a lot more
In a world where speed, accuracy, and transparency are primary consumer requirements, TEXchange offers security, credibility, and great exposure at a click of a button.
How to Source the Right Greige Fabric for Your Business?
When buying wholesale fabric online from India, consider the end application. This will help you determine the weave, weight, thread count, color, and price when posting your inquiry on TEXchange Global.
Consider these questions when preparing your request for proposal:
- What will be the weight of the greige yarn or fabric? Heavier or lighter?
- Will the end product be used outdoors or indoors? What is its end application?
- What kind of temperature will the end product withstand?
- What will be the efficiency of the fabric? Strong and durable?
- Does the end product need to be washed frequently?
- What shrinkage properties are you looking for?
Before you register on TEXchange Global to buy wholesale fabric online in India, know your end application, evaluate the time and quantity of the greige fabric required, budget, and the estimated time for delivery.