With the growing need and awareness of the significance of sustainability, the textile industry is continuously incorporating eco-friendly practices to reduce the harmful impact it leaves on the environment. However, many textile manufacturers in India still have to face multiple challenges while integrating such practices. Textile manufacturing and production consume an extensive amount of resources and energy along with increased use of chemical processes which makes it a difficult task to achieve complete sustainability.
But what are these challenges? How can the textile industry reduce its impact on the environment by choosing more sustainable options? Read on to know more.
Challenges Faced by Textile Industry to Achieve Sustainability
Fast fashion trends lead to increased and rapid production of fashion products
People in today’s generation tend to change their fashion choices quicker than ever. Due to these fast fashion choices of consumers, textile and apparel companies produce new and unique fashion clothes to beat their competitors. It becomes extremely hard for manufacturers to cover their production costs and earn profits by using eco-friendly materials and techniques to produce this apparel.
Sustainable textile production requires knowledge and skills
Since adopting sustainable practices to manufacture yarns and textiles efficiently, one needs proper knowledge and skills. The laborers and artisans who work with old conventional methods mostly fail to acquire new and advanced technologies which makes most of the manufacturers drop the plan of incorporating sustainable techniques.
Higher costs of natural raw material
Sourcing raw materials like greige yarn, cotton, silk, and others that are natural and eco-friendly locally is quite a task. Many companies import these raw materials which eventually increases their costs. Also, it becomes rather difficult for them to choose to use these renewable raw materials and organic fibers since these materials are much costlier than the usual ones. Sticking to sustainable raw materials options becomes quite demanding in such cases.
The use of toxic chemicals isn’t being eliminated
The textile industry uses lots of chemicals throughout the textile manufacturing processes. Whether it is the use of fertilizers and pesticides to increase the yield of natural fibers or the chemical dyes that are used to achieve those unique and bold colors.
The reason for the use of chemical dyes is that natural dyes normally fail to fetch the desired shades of colors and obtaining the same shade of a color every time is too almost impossible. Also, finding eco-friendly chemicals for dyeing and printing fabric is a bigger challenge since their availability is very limited.
What are some of the common sustainable practices you can adopt?
One can easily combat sustainability challenges by following the below-mentioned tips.
- Do some research and look for suppliers who can provide wholesale fabric online in India at reasonable rates and the finest quality to reduce high sourcing and import costs
- Opt for sustainable packaging options to reduce the impact on the environment. These options could be recycled paper bags and other reusable packaging.
- Stick to economical and everlasting designs that work in every weather and trend.
- Maintain a sustainable supply chain to ensure there’s least to zero harmful impact on the environment and the people.
- Try to source organic and natural fibers and raw materials locally or from locations with lower import costs.
- Look for warehouses near the factory to reduce transportation costs and fuel usage.
- Try to minimize the use of water and energy during the production and manufacturing processes.
- Improving the waste management system by reducing the wastage of materials and discarding waste properly without polluting the environment.
Global warming is on the rise and it’s high time to incorporate eco-friendly practices to reduce the carbon footprint. Sustainable practices within the textile industry could be challenging to adopt but are critical for a better future.
If you’re looking for a platform where you can supply or buy cotton yarn online, you can register on TEXchange Global. The leading trading platform is an ideal site for all the suppliers and buyers who want to get the best quality fabrics and yarns at reasonable prices from across the globe.